I'm heading into the weekend planning Lincoln's third birthday party (what?!), so I've been looking at Pinterest and lots of old party photos. I realized that one of my favorite elements of his second birthday party - his Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Birthday Banner - never made it to the blog. It was really fun to make, and is an easy DIY project.
-Mickey Mouse Printable Template and Circle Printable Template from my DIY Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Invitations
-Mini Hole Punch
-Red and White Ribbon
-Yellow, White, and Red Paper
-2" Letters (I used a Cricut, but you could buy scrapbooking stickers or even print and cut these, too)
-Glue Stick or similar, unless you are using stickers for the letters.
-6 White Buttons
-Hot Glue or similar (Tacky Glue would probably work)
How to Make It:
1. Print Mickey Mouse heads on black paper and cut. You'll need 16 for this banner, which is 4 sheets of paper.
2. Print one sheet of red circles and two sheets of yellow (if not using a Cricut or similar die cut machine). Cut out the circles, then cut them each in half. Attach the half circles to the bottom half of the Mickey heads. You need three red half circles and thirteen yellow half circles.
3. Using glue, attach buttons to the red half circles as shown.
4. Punch one mini hole in each Mickey ear. I punched the Mickeys with red circles on both ends, too, even though they were at the edge of the banner. I used little nails that were already in my fireplace to hang them this way. If you have an alternate method for hanging, you could skip the edge holes.
5. Attach your letters to the yellow Mickey heads. If you have stickers, this will take considerably less time than gluing each one individually.
6. Tie the Mickey heads together with ribbon. I used just red ribbon between each of the yellow Mickey heads, then red and white ribbon together surrounding the red Mickey heads.
That's it! It's super simple and was easily one of my favorite things about his second birthday party. It would be great for a #DisneySide event, too - just change up the saying!
Don't have time to make your own banner? You can snag a similar one here.
Planning a party for a Minnie Mouse fan? I have a couple of Minnie inspired headbands available in my Etsy shop!
|Pink Minnie Headband|
|Red Minnie Headband|
Happy party planning!