I was told recently by some of my drama students who are teenagers that the word "awesomesauce" has gone out of fashion. I laughed. They can try to tell me what's hip, but I'm an almost-thirty-year-old mom. I'll probably be saying awesomesauce until the day I die (thanks a lot, Parks & Recreation). As a testament to how often I use this word, the other day my almost five-year-old declared something to be AWESOMESAUCE - and I laughed in glee that he has picked up such an epic (albeit apparently uncool) word.
Anyway - my kids will not be in a classroom setting for Valentine's Day this year, but that hasn't stopped me from coming up with some non-candy classroom valentine ideas, including this You're Awesomesauce, Valentine applesauce pouch. The tag is a free printable - keep reading for the instructions to make these easy and fun treats to pass out to friends, and to download the awesomesauce tags for yourself!
You're Awesomesauce, Valentine Non-Candy Classroom Valentine
-Free Printable "You're Awesomesauce, Valentine" Hearts - you can download it here.
-GoGo Squeez Applesauce (or any other kind of sauce) Pouches
-Mini Hole Punch
1. Print out the hearts and cut along the outside edge of the dark lines.
2. Punch two small holes beside each other, near the top center of each heart.
3. Cut twine or thread (mine was approximately 20" long but you could get away with less than that). Thread both sides of twine through holes to back of heart (see photo below).
4. Loop thread under pouch cap and tie half-knot at the back of the pouch.
5. Bring thread back to front and tie a bow. Trim ends as desired.
I used coordinating thread for each heart color, but you could use plain twine, yarn, or any other small string as desired. We love applesauce pouches in our home - especially because we have a lot of food allergies and limit sugar, so we can't have many of the traditional candy holiday treats.
Have an AWESOMESAUCE Valentine's Day, my friends!
Seriously, though - is the word out of vogue? Do I need to actually quit saying it? Sooooo not happening.