Every parent deals with this fact at some point: kids don't like to eat vegetables. At least, I assume that everyone deals with it. And if you don't have this problem - count yourself very lucky. My good friend, Stephanie recently shared a solution that worked with her daughter Grace - Veggie Muffins for the Pickiest Toddler! After hearing how much Grace loved these, I knew we had to try them. But since I am dairy-free, I wanted to make a version that I could actually taste-test.
I was so surprised that Lincoln loved these muffins, too! I have made them twice already and both times they have turned out great, and have been a highly-requested snack item. That equals a winner in my book! The dairy-free substitutions were easy and chances are if you're not a dairy person, you may already have these items in your house!
The first time I made the recipe, I accidentally dumped in about a teaspoon of Nutmeg, instead of the 1/4 tsp the recipe states. They tasted kind of like pumpkin muffins - yum! I've used a huge variety in the fruit and veggie puree - everything from carrots, peas, kiwi, apples, corn, blueberries, strawberries, etc. I want to try an all-fruit version sometime, I think they would be delicious!
One thing to note is that you probably will want to store them in the fridge! I don't know about the regular version - but my dairy-free muffins were quite dense and spongy and after about a day and a half of being accidentally left out, the last few had started to grow mold in their plastic storage container on my counter.
The original recipe is from Super Healthy Kids and you can find Stephanie's normal version on her blog. My dairy-free version is below!
Delicious Dairy-Free Fruit & Veggie Muffins
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1 cup All-Purpose Flour
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 cup Sugar
4 tbsp Coconut Oil
1-2 Medium Bananas, mashed
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Apple Juice
1/4 cup Applesauce, unsweetened
1/2 cup Coconut Milk
2 1/2 cups Fruit & Veggie Puree + 1 Medium Carrot
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (mini muffins) or 350 degrees F (regular sized muffins).
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine sugar, coconut oil, bananas and vanilla in a mixer. Beat well.
- Mix together the produce, carrot, apple juice, and applesauce in a blender or food processor until thoroughly mixed.
- Combine the fruit/veggie puree and coconut milk into the coconut oil/banana mixture, beat until mixed.
- Add all dry ingredients, mix just until combined and wet.
- Scoop the mixture into a prepared muffin pan.
- Bake muffins for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are slightly brown and a toothpick comes out clean. They should bounce back slightly if touched.